Tuesday 13 October 2015

Dig Deep on Cowbell Radio #27 with Colin Tomlinson (Jelly Roll Soul / SSW / Magic Sun)


After kicking off the new Dig Deep Mix Series this week with a lovely House set from Colin Tomlinson, this Saturday we officially welcome the Scottish based DJ to Dig Deep on Cowbell Radio.

Colin is a regular at The Scottish Soulful Weekender, has played at Magic Sun Festival, and is associated with the Jelly Roll Soul club night.

He's dropped an exclusive 1 hour long Disco mix on us that is going to make your heart melt from the very first tune. It's one for the dancers, the lovers of soul music and the heads that dig for the roots of House.


Colin's mix was recorded on one of those great sounding E&S DJR 400 Rotary Mixers that was conceived by Jerôme Barbé & DJ Deep, so the music has plenty of warmth and we get some of those trademark bass drops which gives the set that real US DJ style feel.


With selections covering both the rarities and the classics, his influences clearly come from the modern day underground disco pioneers that continue to introduce the world to Disco's rich history.

Q&A with Colin Tomlinson:

How long have been buying vinyl?
I have been buying Vinyl for around 23 years. I started in the 90’s.

Are you a selector or a collector?
I would say I'm a collector but I try to be a selector.

When did you get into DJing and why?
I got into DJing in the early 90's, loving both the music and mixing.

Who and what are your influences?
Derrick carter was one of the first DJs that I loved. My style has changed over the years and my influences now are the likes of DJ Izrail, Sadar Bahar, and Mark Grusane.

How would you describe your style?
I play house and disco, mostly disco now, but I still like to do the odd house mix.

Where will people have heard you playing?
I've had a bit of a break over the past few years due to family commitments. I have been recently playing with Jelly Roll Soul, The Magic Sun Festival, and the Scottish Soul Weekender 4 & 5.

The Scottish Soul Weekender always has a great line up. Do you have any personal highlights you'd like to share?
Yeah lots of good highlights. I played 3 hrs with (my brother) Robert, mind you Robert hogged the decks as one DJ never turned up. Then there was the time Keb Darge was doing splits and dancing to the start of my set LOL. Getting to play beside good quality DJs too.

What have you got coming up next and later in the year? 
I'm in the pipe line of starting up my own night playing disco. More information about that will be posted on my Facebook page nearer the time. I have just been booked for next year's Scottish Soulful Weekender which is taking place again in Siloth.

Where can people check you out online?
There are lots more disco mixes up at soundcloud.com/colintee.



Tracklist:
Stevo - Pay the Price
Black - Macho Macho
Guynamukat - Low Slung Disco
Skyy - High (Halve Soul & Olivier Boogie Edit)
Shelbra Deane - You Move Me
George Duke - I Want You For Myself
OB Ignitt & Omar S - Fellow Me
Michael Huckaby - Analog, Tapes & Things
Wish & Fonda Rae - Touch Me
The Internet - Girl (Unknown Edit)
OB Ignitt & Omar S - Seems Like Yall Ready
Cloudface - Otcho
Chez Damier & Stacey Pullen - Forever Monna (Mix 2)
Kai Alce feat Rico & Kafele Bandele - Take A Chance (Mr Fingers Full ambient acid instrumental)
Leo Mas - Sunrise 87 (Balearic Militant mix)
Brassfoot - Quad By Quad
Brassfoot - Serpentina's Drums (K.M.F.H. Edit)
Harold Melvin - Bad Luck (John Morales's M+M Mix)
Bendy & Hristo - Love Contest
Little Beaver - Listen To My Heartbeat
The Underground Band - Time Is Running Out

MINI-MIX DJ: COLIN TOMLINSON
Vinzerrelli - Skate Dancer
Cloud One - Happy Music
King Sporty - Get On Down
Clyde Alexander and Sanction - Got To Get Your Love
Brass Construction - Cha Cha
The Invitations - We Don’t Allow No Sitting Down In Here
Unknown - Al Tone Edits
Eddie Kendrick - Going Up In Smoke
Unknown - Al Kent Edit
Untitled - Untitled
Volvo - Freedom Of The Mind
Mark Grusane - Movie Of The Week
 
Dig Deep On Cowbell Radio
with Colin Tomlinson (Jelly Roll Soul / SSW / Magic Sun)
Saturday 17th October 2015
7pm-10pm

Follow the show:
facebook.com/DigDeepOnCowbellRadio